Monday, August 08, 2005

Some thoughts on Minneapolis

I just returned from 7 days in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and thought I would share a few of my observations.

Minneapolis is expensive. For example, our rental car cost $137 dollars a week to rent but the total with tax included was $187. That works out to a tax rate of 36% if I've done the Math correctly (always a dicey prospect). We also had to pay $12 a day to park it in the hotel's parking garage, something I've never encountered before. Additionally, everywhere we went we had to pay to park the car with parking fees usually beginning at $5 for the first hour alone. A load of clothes at a self service laundrymat was $2.25 and about another dollar or so to dry. A good hamburger at the equivalent of a Bennigan's was around $9 or so.

The F word is very popular. I saw one person at the zoo wearing a shirt that had a long quote that concluded with the sentence, "How about a nice steaming cup of shut the F_ _ _ up", except all of the letters were present. I also saw a young female walking around with a shirt that said, "Too busy to F_ _ _", all letters included. I also heard in spoken aloud in several conversations, always from a young female.

Minneapolis is very clean. Having grown up in New Orleans and now living in Texas I've grown used to seeing litter strewn everywhere on public streets. Minneapolis, even downtown, is spotless. The city also has a great many beautiful public parks, especially the park containing Minnehaha Falls and Longfellow's former home.


We also saw the funniest play I think I've ever seen in my life. It was called Triple Expresso and it is currently playing in Minneapolis and San Diego. I highly recommend it if you are in either city.

3 comments:

Dan Edwards said...

Clean streets....they sweep all the trash away with the snow melt....

HOW did you decide to go to Minneapolis? Didn't the vendors at that food services convention have samples? (Or did you have to register and pay to get into the convention? )

Mike in Texas said...

Polski,

My wife was there for some job training. You wouldn't believe the "special" govt. fare for her plane ticket!

Amerloc said...

I know, responding to an old post....

I'm a Minnesota native, born about a hundred miles west of the Twin Cities (though Alpha and Beta were born in St. Paul and Mpls, respectively).

I like Minneapolis as cities go. Like you said, it's clean (even when the snow-melt is months away, Polski). Lots of colleges and universities, too. People mostly are cheerful, and friendly in a hey-how-ya-doin kind of way. And as you also suggested, good theatre, which is a plus, and maybe even reason to drive the two hours from here once in a while.

But I'm a small-town, small-school dog. I wouldn't want to live there...