Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Size of our World

I found this picture depicting the relative sizes of objects in our solar system from a website called The Size of Our World. I think it is one of the best depictions of the relative sizes of the Sun and the planets. I plan on using ALL of the pictures from this website when we discuss planets and stars.

When I attend the Space Science Educator's Conference in February of this year I also learned of a unique way to present the sizes of the Earth and the Sun. The Earth is easy, you use a hole punched out of a piece of paper. The Sun will be a yellow cirlce 114cms in diameter.

2 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Thanks for the comparisons. I'll find them useful in my own teaching.

EHT said...

This is so cool. I bookmarked the site so I can forward to the science teacher on my team. Thanks!