Friday, July 07, 2006

YOU THERE! BUY THIS BOOK! NOW!!


I just finished reading John Pearson's Learn Me Good and I highly recommend it. I received it yesterday in the mail and finished it last night. The book is the story of John's first year of teaching, told through emails to a friend at his former place of employment. John's descriptions of his kids and their behaviors are hilarious. My favorite was Estaban, the child who yells out different answers constantly in the hope that one of them is right. I think I've taught some of his kin. (relatives, for you people not from Texas)

I don't want to sound like a big shot or anything but I got an autographed copy! John, a.k.a. Mr. Teacher, has a blog, Learn Me Good, which is becoming one of my daily reads. I've also written to this professor and suggested this book would be much more enlightening for his students than public school basher Joanne Jacobs' book.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!???? GO BUY THE BOOK!!!!

Other books I'm reading or have read this summer include:

"I Had the Right to Remain Silent, But Not the Ability" by Ron White

"Strike Two" and "Remembrances of Swings Gone Past" by Ron Luciano

"Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiassan

"Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury - I read this one years ago but it was interesting to re visit it.

"Imposter" by Bruce Bartlett. I didn't finish this one though. After a hundred pages of Bush is bad, Bush is a crook, etc etc I just wanted to scream, "Ok, I get it!" Unfortunately, the book is over 300 pages long so I gave up. At one point I fully expected him to say "Bush turned me into a newt!"


My favorite book? "The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice-Cream God" by John R. Powers. You may have to had grown up Catholic to fully appreciate this book but let me throw out this teaser: God is a mechanic in a local gas station.

8 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

WOW -- thanks for the amazing plug! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully through your recommendation, more of the Internet community will pick it up.
Rock on!

Butterfly Angel said...

Based on your recommendation, I am going to buy the book. I read "Skinny Dip" and could not stop laughing. We have a common bond, I, too, teach in Texas! yee haw.

~adios~

EHT said...

My husband and I love Ron White. He is so bad, yet so funny. The word "cu-pon" has become one of our family lingo words now because of the way he says it. His story, "They call me Tater-Salad" is absolutely hilarious. I'll have to go the Borders and sit there an hour or two and skim through it.

Mike in Texas said...

ButterflyAngel,

If you liked "Skinny Dip" you will LOVE "Skin Tight". He introduces the same character, Mick Stranahan (sp?), the retired Miami detective. For my money it is even funnier than "Skinny Dip"

Anonymous said...

He got better...

Mike in Texas said...

Mike,

I think he had to bring him a . . .SHRUBBERY! One that looked nice and not too expensive.

Anonymous said...

Dear MIT:

NEE! NEE!

Mike in Texas said...

Mike,

They are now called, "The Knights who until recently said Nee"